Thursday, August 21, 2008

Reflections upon my Imbalances


Reflections upon my Imbalances is oil on canvas, 72" x 84". I've been trying to figure out what to say about him...how to explain him. The best I can come up with is to include an email I wrote to the person who submitted the picture.

I can't write much...way too much to deal with right now. But, I wanted to get you a picture of the final Reflections. I hope you agree that the completed portrait is far less intimidating than the unfinished picture I sent you.

Actually, painting Reflections has been such a wonderful experience for me and I wanted to share it with you. I don’t think of myself as a compassionate person (something I am trying very hard to change about myself), but something about the pictures you sent to me brought out empathy and concern in me. This was one of the reasons I decided to paint it...I thought if it could inspire compassion in ME, think of the good and beautiful energy it could bring out of everyone viewing it. As I worked on the painting, I noticed the feeling of compassion growing within. I thought a lot about you. I looked into your "eye" constantly and repeated a loving kindness mantra (May you be filled with loving kindness, may you be well, may you be peaceful and at ease, may you be happy), hoping it might make some difference to you.

Then, at my open studio last week, I noticed the same sort of reaction in those who viewed the portrait. They were drawn to the portrait; to you. In their faces, I saw compassion, care, love...all good things. YOU have inspired this and I have no doubt that it will come back to you.

Be well, my friend.
Lizzy

No comments: