Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fulcrum

The 26th is nearing and I am still painting furiously. Not good. And, as luck would have it, paint is suddenly taking extra long to dry, paintings are being difficult, and I am going into no-sleep, hyper-caffeinated overdrive. Want to visit the studio? (haha - I wouldn't if I were you...the paint is literally FLYING. I went to a dental appointment today and the hygienist asked me why my ear was blue. I managed, at 3 am this morning, to wipe off the smear of blue paint across my face, but guess I didn't notice it on my ear.)


So, you are looking at a detail of Fulcrum between the Mundane and the Mystical (48" x 60" - oil on linen); a painting that is thankfully done. The photo was submitted by someone very dear to me...someone who has taught me more in one year than anyone in my entire life. I was actually there when the photo was taken...at a Thai restaurant in Arlington. (Imagine a very big man taking multiple pictures of his eyeball...and to get the right effect, he had to pull the skin away from his eye, creating a bulging eyeball effect. All while eating Pad Thai. Talented.) You can see the reflections of the tree outside the restaurant as well as the many windows that surrounded us. Looking at this painting, for me, is like looking into the depths of his being, but at the same time, looking at a moment frozen in time. And, there is another element to the painting that isn't evident in the picture I have included...something that speaks to spirituality, transformation and, above all, balance.

No comments: