Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Musings...

So Why Can’t Artists Be Creative Anymore??


My difficulties have highlighted an idea/notion in my mind. There is all this talk of being creative in the workplace, how creative people are going to take over the world, yada, yada. But let’s look at what’s really happening. As an artist - and one who would very much like to make my sole living from selling art - it was ingrained in me early that I would need to 1) have an easily identifiable style, 2) create a body of work in that style and 3) don’t deviate. I was taught that mixing it up - with alternate mediums, styles, etc. would just confuse buyers and make people hesitant to collect your art. (And that is yet another notion that I find questionable - that people need to collect serious art out of the desire to “invest” as opposed to the attraction/love/etc of the piece they are viewing - messed up, if you ask me, but that’s a whole other topic of discussion.) So, I am a creative person. My creativity, IF I am to be successful, has to be limited to a particular niche? After seven years of entertaining this idea, I have finally said screw it.


As I said in the last post...it is time to play.


No comments: